An unexpected pregnancy can be overwhelming – especially when you’re still in school. At Focus Women’s Center, we understand that a pregnancy at this point in your life requires certain considerations and therefore, may not be part of your plan.
Fortunately, the medical team at Focus can help you find the best option for YOU and your personal situation. Furthermore, all of our services are provided for FREE – no insurance necessary. Plus, our appointments are completely confidential, so you don’t need to tell anyone unless YOU want to – even if you’re a minor.
Call or text 815-322-1585 to schedule a free Pregnancy Verification & Consultation appointment and meet with a nurse today.
I THINK I MIGHT BE PREGNANT. WHAT SHOULD I DO FIRST?
- First, CONFIRM YOUR PREGNANCY. Have a qualified healthcare professional administer a medical grade pregnancy test. At Focus Women’s Center, our licensed medical staff does lab-quality urine pregnancy testing – free of charge.
- Secondly, GET AN ULTRASOUND. At Focus Women’s Center, we offer free ultrasound scans to answer 3 important questions:
- HOW FAR ALONG ARE YOU (gestational age)? If you’re considering abortion, gestational age determines which abortion procedure you’d qualify for. However, using your menstrual period to determine gestational age is not always accurate. That’s because sometimes implantation bleeding or early pregnancy bleeding can be mistaken for a period. Therefore, ultrasound is the most accurate way to determine how far along you are.
- IS THE PREGNANCY LOCATED IN THE UTERUS? An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy that grows outside of the uterus. Since it can be a life-threatening condition, it requires immediate medical attention. (Please note: an abortion is not used to remove an ectopic pregnancy. In fact, a completely different procedure is required for treatment- which is why an ultrasound is important for early and accurate detection! Plus, the symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy and the side effects of the abortion pill (sometimes called Plan C) can be similar. Therefore, it’s important to rule out an ectopic pregnancy before taking the abortion pill.)
- IS THE PREGNANCY EVEN VIABLE? Actually, between 10-20% of known pregnancies end up naturally miscarrying. Therefore, it’s important to determine if the pregnancy is even viable before you make any decisions.
- Thirdly, GET TESTED FOR STDS. Since untreated STDS can cause further complications during a surgical abortion, it’s important to be tested. For this reason, Focus Women’s Center tests for 2 of the most common STDs in our area: chlamydia and gonorrhea.
- Finally, LEARN ABOUT YOUR OPTIONS. Our healthcare professionals are specially trained to go over all 3 of your pregnancy options (abortion, adoption, and parenting), and can provide you with resources to help you with your next step.
SINCE I CAN BUY THE ABORTION PILL ONLINE – WHY DO I NEED TO COME TO FOCUS?
Buying the abortion pill (also known as Plan C) online can be dangerous. This is because abortion pills bought without a prescription are not FDA approved and risk being contaminated, counterfeit, or containing varying ingredients. Furthermore, the FDA also advises against buying abortion pills over the internet because you risk bypassing important safety guards that protect your health, such as having an ultrasound and STD testing. Before you purchase the abortion pill, make an appointment at Focus Women’s Center for a free ultrasound and STD testing.
WILL I BE ABLE TO GET AN ABORTION THERE?
Focus Women’s Center does not provide prenatal care or abortions. Simply put, we are the first step in confirming your pregnancy and learning about all of your options – including your abortion options. While we don’t provide referrals to any specific abortion provider, our nurses do offer information on what to look for when choosing an abortion clinic, an estimation of costs, as well as information on the available abortion procedures so you know what to expect.
CAN I BRING A FRIEND?
Of course! We believe that a good support system is so important when going through difficult times. Although we may ask your guest to wait in the reception area while you meet privately with a nurse to go over some health information, your guest is welcome to join you in the ultrasound room during your scan if you would like.
AS A MINOR, DO I NEED TO TELL MY PARENTS?
Actually, in Illinois, you can get a pregnancy test, options counseling, prenatal care, and STD/STI testing and treatment without telling your parents. Therefore, your trip to Focus Women’s Center can remain completely confidential!
HOW LONG WILL MY APPOINTMENT TAKE?
While first time appointments usually last about an hour, repeat appointments generally take 15-30 minutes.
Call or text 815-322-1585 to meet with a nurse today!
American Pregnancy Association. (2019). Miscarriage. Retrieved from https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-complications/miscarriage/
American Pregnancy Association. (n.d.). Ultrasound: sonogram. Retrieved from https://americanpregnancy.org/prenatal-testing/ultrasound/
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists’ Committee on Obstetric Practice, Pettker, C., Goldberg, J., El-Sayed, Y., Copel, J., & Society for Maternal Fetal Medicine. (2017). Committee opinion: Methods for estimating due date. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, 2017(700), 1-5. Retrieved from https://www.acog.org/-/media/project/acog/acogorg/clinical/files/committee-opinion/articles/2017/05/methods-for-estimating-the-due-date.pdf
Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. (2020). Ectopic pregnancy. Retrieved https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ectopic-pregnancy/symptoms-causes/syc-20372088
Mosbergen, D. (2022). Websites selling unapproved abortion pills are booming. Retrieved from https://www.wsj.com/articles/websites-selling-unapproved-abortion-pills-are-booming-11661079601
Reader, R. (2022). The web is home to an illegal bazaar for abortion pills. The FDA is ill-equipped to stop it. Retrieved from https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2022/07/29/the-web-is-home-to-an-illegal-bazaar-for-abortion-pills-the-fda-is-ill-equipped-to-stop-it-00048802