With the overturning of Roe vs Wade, abortion laws are now determined by each individual state. Some states, like Wisconsin, have banned abortion in most cases. However, in places like Illinois, abortion remains legal. The laws are changing very quickly, which can make it confusing to understand your abortion options. That’s why Focus Women’s Center in McHenry, IL is here to help! Our nurses can answer your abortion questions and provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision.
Call or text 815-322-1585 to schedule with a nurse to discuss your options
What are the abortion laws in Illinois?
- Abortion is legal in Illinois.
- There is a ban on abortion at viability (exceptions are made if it is determined there is a danger to the patient’s life or health). Viability is defined by the point at which a fetus can survive outside of the uterus. This varies by pregnancy but is usually between 24-28 weeks.
- No mandatory waiting period or educational requirement prior to having an abortion.
- No ultrasound requirement.
- No parental consent is needed, even for minors.
- The FDA requires a prescription for abortion pills. The FDA also advises against buying abortion pills over the internet because you risk bypassing important safety guards that protect your health. Abortion pills bought without a prescription are not FDA approved and risk being contaminated, counterfeit, or containing varying ingredients.
What are the abortion laws in Wisconsin?
- Currently prohibits ALL abortions.
- It is only acceptable if it is necessary to save the life of the mother or is advised as necessary to save the life of the mother by two other physicians.
Guttmacher Institute. (2022). An overview of abortion laws. Retrieved from https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/explore/overview-abortion-laws
Illinois Legal Aid. (2022). Abortion law. Retrieved from https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/legal-information/abortion-law
FDA. (2021). Mifeprex (mifepristone) information. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/drugs/postmarket-drug-safety-information-patients-and-providers/mifeprex-mifepristone-information
Matesic, E. (2022). A closer look at Wisconsin’s abortion law. Retrieved from https://www.wbay.com/2022/06/24/closer-look-wisconsins-abortion-law/